SEO is a relatively young field, but it has seen significant growth in recent years. Needless to say, SEO experts these days can have a lot on their plate, and many have to manage hundreds of clients at a time! To successfully perform this juggling act, you must level up your project management skills and integrate them with your SEO strategy.
With that in mind, we will explore five crucial SEO project management tips that’ll help you increase your firm’s productivity and profitability.
1. Understand Project Management Principles:
The success of your SEO project is dictated by your ability to manage clients, projects, external factors, and people. This is where project management is your best friend.
Project management isn’t just a tactic; it explores the science of complicated projects. This discipline dates back to the 20th century. As a project manager, you should know the core principles of project management:
- Mission and Vision: This may include specific goals (mission) and broad objectives (vision) thus bringing clarity to your tasks
- Process and standards: A successful project management lays emphasis on creating scalable standards and processes. For your SEO project, you should focus on repeatable tactics.
For instance, if you want to improve your client’s website traffic then you may draft a strategy that incorporates creating high-quality content, conducting keyword research, improving user experience on the website, working on backlinks, and so on.
Don’t forget that SEO is a continuous and dynamic process, and you need to constantly evaluate and optimize your strategies for best results.
- Measurable Objectives: Any project without trackable business objectives will go astray. Thus you must tie your SEO project tasks with a specific objective. It may be boosting conversions, lead generation, increasing sales, branding, organic website traffic to name a few.
- Communication: Exceptional project management and communication are interlinked. More specific, clear, and timely communication, will result in smooth project execution.
- Measurement: Just like measurable objectives, performance and activities should also be monitored. These can be optimized for your future SEO projects. You can use tools like SEMrush for SEO analysis, Google Ads for keyword analysis, Moz Link Explorer for link analysis, and so on.
2. Plan your SEO Project:
If you are new to SEO, you might be wondering how an SEO project moves from the initiation stage to its final delivery. This process might be haphazard, ad-hoc, and overwhelming if you don’t plan.
Adopting a structured approach to your SEO project is not only time saving but also cost-efficient. Planning and structuring will divide broad project goals into specific deliverables.
Using the above-mentioned core principles, you should divide your project into various phases where you will tackle multiple aspects of your SEO project. Some of these phases are:
- Initiation: Recognize the project mission, narrow-down specific goals and create consensus on KPIs (Key Project Indicators) and key deliverables.
- Planning: Understand the project’s scope, develop a list of deliverables, and task deadlines.
- Execution: Create a schedule, build a project team, and assign tasks to each member.
- Monitoring: Track your project’s progress, monitor performance and ensure that your team is on track while the project is under-budget and follows the deadline.
- Delivery: Assess your project’s performance to see what worked, evaluate your SEO mistake, understand what and how you can improve for your future projects.
For instance, if your SEO objective is to drive better conversions then you should plan using these pointers mentioned. You may understand that for enhanced conversions you need high organic traffic and a reduced bounce rate.
As an SEO professional, you may convert these broad goals into specific, quantifiable goals. Your specific goals may be increasing website traffic by 30% and decreasing the bounce rate by 20% in four months. Now you will craft a strategy to meet these project goals.
3. Streamline Communications:
SEO is a long-term strategy that needs considerable effort and time to generate trackable results. However, keeping your client engaged can be challenging if you’re working in a competitive industry. This is because generating SEO results in such industries can take several weeks.
Conversely, if your client is not from a competitive industry, you may be able to deliver outstanding results during the first few weeks. Nonetheless, whatever the scenario, communication is key. Either it may be communication with the client on what to expect and when or with your team members about the project’s progress.
An SEO project requires the contribution of various experts like SEO professionals, content writers, web developers, designers, copywriters among others. Thus regular communication is essential for your project’s success. It may be done via in-person meetings or using online platforms.
4. Use the Right Tools:
Some of the essential tools may include SEO tools, collaboration tools, communication tools, and task management tools.
- SEO Tools: From keyword analysis to competitor analysis to content analysis, SEO tools can make your life easy. Woorank is one of the best tools for content and competitor analysis.
Moreover, Google Ads and Ubersuggest are excellent tools for Keyword research. Moz and Google Analytics are tools to understand your audience better. Not only do these tools budget-friendly but they also improve the effectiveness of your SEO project. You can utilize a tool that aligns with your technical needs and your budget.
- Collaboration Tools: Collaboration includes sharing essential files, notes and provides feedback and comment to your team members and client while retaining complete control on who views what. This is greatly simplified by ClientBuddha’s Collaboration module.
- Communication Tools: As stated earlier, regular and effective communication is crucial for any project’s success with various contributors. You should employ a tool that enables you to seamlessly communicate with your stakeholders to get their ideas. Further, it must facilitate the effortless sharing of files and documents with private groups, individuals to keep everyone in the loop.
Get started with your FREE trial of ClientBuddha today!
- Task Management: These tools facilitate the managing of custom targets, tracking progress, planning, and delegating tasks. ClientBuddha’s smart, shareable to-do-lists aid your team in staying organized while instantly creating and assigning tasks. Furthermore, they also remind you of tasks that were assigned to you.
5. Know What Works:
Understanding which SEO strategy and tactics work require experience and time. For example, if a client with a limited budget demands instant results then you can use sponsored links. Such links are the fastest ways to get results.
Similarly, if a specific SEO strategy requires multiple content writers then you can plan to hire these writers early in the execution stage.
SEO project management is all about utilizing available resources to your advantage. Additionally, if you know that a certain SEO strategy failed last time then you can either improve it or discard it.
Although SEO project management is challenging, using the right tools can bring clarity to your project. Not only will this aid you in successful project execution but will also allow you to build lasting relationships with clients. Additionally, you will be able to execute your SEO projects on time without exceeding your budget.